Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week 08

Week-08A

This weekend was spent in Chattanooga.  First, we'd gone off in search of Stubbs Artificial Limbs.  However, Stubbs eluded us.  (We'll find it another time.)

So, I thought it over and realized that there is a monument right off the interstate entrance ramp in my hometown, Lookout Valley, that I've always wanted to explore.  We found it, and then discovered US Boundary NPS signs as well as an old, faded Cummings Bottom sign.  So, we explored on foot!

Week-08B

We walked a fair distance, and then headed back.  Later, we looked up more info, and there is an old cemetery further in, Fryar Cemetery.  Hopefully, we'll get to explore that on a day when the weather is more cooperative.

I couldn't find any links for more information about Cummings Bottom.  I found that it has Civil War historical relevance, but not much more than that.  If anyone has any more information about it, please send it my way. 

3 comments:

  1. i've always wondered how to get to this monument...
    and i can take you to stubbs, i know exactly where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered what that monument was all about, but I've never tried to get to it on foot. Good job! (This is Critty btw...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri – We google map street-viewed Stubbs (the one NOT on the children's hospital campus)... I think I can find it, but it'd always be fun to hang out at Stubbs.

    Critty – Thanks! If you'd like to go there, you just head up Parker Lane by the McDonalds. There's a gate, but they don't close it anymore. My Uncle Eddie told me people used to live all back in there, and the road was gated then.

    ReplyDelete